From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2019 08:28:08 +0200
Hi James,

Yes, you are eligible, indeed in a slightly favoured position.

It's residence that counts, not country of origin. If you live and pay
taxes in the USA or Canada, you are North American for this purpose.

Otherwise, looking at current council composition and NCSG charter,
the situation is briefly like this:

* An African can only be selected if there are no other viable
candidates (as there already are two Africans). This is a hard
rule, "To the maximum extent possible", but as noted it would
not exclude you if you are North American resident now.

* Of two otherwise equally competent candidates, a North American
would be preferred over others and a woman over a man. These are
softer rules, "Reasonable efforts", so other qualifications could
be more important.

Tapani

--
Tapani Tarvainen