From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2019 15:15:14 +0200
On Dec 17 13:04, Stephanie Perrin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> it is indeed a rather odd
> system. In theory, you could run 12 folks from different regions of
> Africa (or Europe, or North America, etc) who were domiciled in the
> other ICANN regions of the world, and they would all be eligible if
> they declared according to residence. I am not sure that this is a
> great way to represent the stakeholders of the different regions of
> the world, but it is what our charter says we do. And very
> confusing.

Actually that's not so much in our charter (even though it has its own
confusions aplenty), it is reasonably clear on how the regions affect
eligibility, but ICANN's (or is it GNSO's?) rules on how people's
regions are determined.

But as it is, there really is none declared for Africa, so contrary to
my earlier analysis being an African would be an advantage here.

> We are looking into updating those pages, and my apologies for
> adding to the confusion!

Mine, too.

--
Tapani Tarvainen