Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:59:28 -0400
Hi,

I'm just traveling at the moment, and without access to my laptop, so I'll just give some quick thoughts.

I think that public safety is best guaranteed through a robust and reliable global DNS, including reliable expectations of privacy, security, etc. It always chaffs me a bit when people talk about the traditional trade-offs between privacy and public safety, as that ignores the enormous overlap between the two, and the fact that technologies which guarantee personal privacy are also vital to our collective security - guaranteeing a free press, secure financial transactions, etc.

Bringing this back to ICANN, I would be very uncomfortable with any sort of cooperative relationship between ICANN and law enforcement or security agencies, beyond an educational role in sharing info about what ICANN is about, or something like that. ICANN should do only what it is legally compelled to do, and even that should be carried out with maximum transparency, and with appropriate resistance (appeals) if confronted with overbroad or unreasonable demands.

TL/DR Come back with a warrant.

Michael Karanicolas

Sent from my iPhone