From:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:26:22 -0500
Hi,

I think this question is somewhat similar to what I asked the GAC during our Abu Dhabi bilateral, when I said "we’re unsure as to how GAC members consult with their justice departments in order to find the right balance between maintaining public safety while
respecting fundamental rights such as the right to privacy which can be found in the constitutions of over 100 countries." See page 18 onwards of the transcript: https://schd.ws/hosted_files/icann60abudhabi2017/e3/I60AUH_Mon30Oct2017-GAC%20meeting%20with%20the%20NCUC-en.pdf

I think we need to be very delicate with questions to do with what process the GAC follows. I'm certainly curious as to how they form their opinions, and work internally, but I don't know if it appropriate for us to flat out say or even insinuate that they are only consulting with their trade representatives. And I do think that is the insinuation some are making. Real or perceived, right or wrong, we can't make it (in my opinion).

Best wishes,

​Ayden

​