From:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2018 18:05:19 +0000
Hi Arsene,

Thanks for your comments.

No, there would be nothing to preclude community members from applying for a grant through the fund (in whatever form it may ultimately take), though I would just like to clarify that was not what I meant by my question. I was asking if we thought it appropriate for ICANN stakeholder groups/constituencies/advisory committees (i.e. the NCSG) to be eligible to apply for support. I could see there being value in this, as a way of leveling the playing field and ensuring our continued independence from ICANN. Relying on ICANN org to fund our activities and enggagement is, I think, dangerous, as they could potentially shrink our budget to undermine or weaken us. And given the organisation is under financial pressure at the moment, and ICANN org always seeks to protect and enrich its own staff over the community (just look at last year's budget), I would suggest we need to be thinking about how we can ensure the long-term sustainability of civil society participation at ICANN in the absence of funding from ICANN org.

Mechanism C would entail the establishment of a Foundation with total operational independence from ICANN org and its own board of directors. I could see this being more accountable than Mechanisms A and B.

Ultimately, we're talking about giving away at least USD $220,000,000.00 here, if not more, should there be another round of gTLDs. The cost of establishing an independent foundation is minimal as a proportion of total gift giving that is on offer.

Best wishes,

Ayden