From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2019 14:09:38 +0000
Milton is right that this is clearly a win for ISOC (ISOC Central, hard to see the Chapter benefits). What is disturbing here is not about who the buyers are, but the unknowns about their intentions and the unknowns about who knew what, and who did what, in the background during the process in which the changes were made to the PIR contract.

The buyer intentions with regard to .org domain name registration fees, should their intentions be a significant rise in fees, are 100 percent at the expense of the mainly ngo holders of .org domain names. While this is the current “trickle up” process of wealth distribution in the U.S., where the top 1% holds as much wealth as the top next 49%, many of us would hate to see ngo’s as major donors to that wealth concentration process.

If we had more information, we could assess the new owners' probable intentions. We know PIR’s profits, and ISOC’s take. A business analyst could give a ball-park figure for the asset value of PIR under current registration fee rates. A purchase price significantly above that would suggest planned rate increases, unless one though that the buyers were making a “charitable contribution” to ISOC, an unlikely proposition.

What has transpired is legal, but one is left with questions about the integrity of the process. As the story gradually comes out, and it will, the story may tarnish the integrity of those involved. That would be unfortunate for both ISOC and ICANN.

As to what can be done now, the stakeholder community will have to figure out the next move.

Sam L.

 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";