From:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2019 20:00:16 +0100
Sam,

> I do not think of the issue here it as the "migration of the
> under-served to [social media] platforms. It is more the arrival of new
> digital residents/citizens to the digital ecosystem niche that is most
> attractive to them. That is the various social media platforms, and
> (mainly cell phone) apps that require no knowledge of web pages, domain
> names or the DNS, much less an interest in ownership of a domain name.

Indeed. Amplified by things like the Facebook initiative of free (or
almost-free) "facebook only" phones etc.

> As an economist my tentative view here is that the DNS market is
> reaching a maturity plateau where the growth in demand for domain names
> levels off, grows at slower rates based on economic growth, and faces
> competition from digital apps including social media. The DNS proper
> disappears into the background, almost as a utility infrastructure
> underpinning a multitude of socio-economic activities where users have
> little knowledge of, and no interest in owning, a domain name.

I agree. How often do you type a full domain address these days, as
opposed to clicking on a link or doing a search?

> There is an access issue here but it has more to do with poverty and the
> lack of spending power, and with the lack of built out digital networks.

Often caused by anti-competitive and corrupt government practices.

> It has little to do with the DNS and it is not clear what ICANN should
> be doing here within ICANN operational mandate. It can of course have a
> voice in the wider stakeholder discourse about the plight of the under
> served, but that takes place in other venues.

Indeed. Not really what ICANN is there for.

	Julf