From:
Jorge Restrepo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jorge Restrepo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:20:16 +0000
The merger makes sense to me. I agree with the arguments put forward by those in favour.

J Restrepo

OISTE Foundation, Geneva

Sent from my iPhone

> On 25 Jul 2020, at 06:00, NCSG-DISCUSS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:

>  1. A Proposal to Merge NCSG, NCUC and NPOC for More Efficiency in ICANN’s DNS

>     Work (4)

>  2. Internet Gov Weekly Brief (W30A20): US-China cyber-diplomatic war; UK’s

>     report on Russia interference; US indicts Chinese hackers; EU Security

>     Union Strategy; Egypt endorsed privacy law; Turkey’s bill on social

>     medias; G20 on AI.

> Date:    Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:14:56 +0200

> From:    Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: A Proposal to Merge NCSG, NCUC and NPOC for More Efficiency in ICANN’s DNS Work

> Full agreement with Sam, Milton and James.

>    Julf

>> On 23-07-2020 17:39, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>> Full agreement with Milton here.

>> *---*

>> *James Gannon*

>>> Jacky:

>>> 1)    Current members low engagement in policy work

>>> This would not be helped by a merger, but it would not be harmed, either. It’s a different issue

>>> 2)    Administrative overload for Maryam and the members of the various ECs

>>> This most definitely WOULD be helped by a merger. One of the reasons there is too much administrative work is that we have duplicative, overlapping structures. And they confuse members or potential members constantly.

>>> 3)    Need to grow the membership base (new members)

>>> Have you every tried explaining to new members the difference between NPOC and NCUC and why it matters? I have been doing that for 10 years, and I can tell you it doesn’t help recruit new members. It is serious friction.

>>> 4) To develop and maintain a strong voice in ICANN for our stakeholders