From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:10:25 -0500
Amr,

Thank you for your long and thoughtful comments. I take them as
measured and not blunt.

My response will be brief. My comments are those of a stakeholder
interested in both the integrity of the Internet ecosystem, and the
integrity of ISOC and will have collateral damage on ICANN (as org,
Board, and a community). In my view all three have been damaged in
this episode

What should and can be done about the current situation re: PIR and
.org is not all all clear. I fully agree with your suggestion that
the ISOC Board should be in the hot seat here. The history of who did
what and who knew what when, as the decision was made to remove the
price cap, and what followed, is yet to be known.

I have said what I think needed to be said and I will leave what
follows to the dynamics of the processes that may or may not unfold.

Again, Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Sam L.

Agreement](https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/tlds/org/org-agmt-html-30jun19-en.htm).

> [...]
> advocate for, and what we push back against. Think back to the rage
> we expressed when ICANN over-reached, and introduced TM+50 in the
> Trademark Clearinghouse in blatant disregard for developed policy,
> or when we more recently objected to introduction of the URS in the
> new .org Registry Agreement. Ask anyone who’s worked on Rights
> Protection Mechanisms or gTLD Registration Data policies over the
> years.
>
> NCSG continually demanding that due process be observed and
> appropriate limitation of ICANN’s power, I’d hope, is part of
> NCSG’s identity and long-term objectives. Yet…, in the absence
> of justification to your requests below, I’d say that you are
> proposing that we abandon some of our principles. Aren’t
> principles only truly so when we stick to them when it is
> inconvenient for us to do so? We can’t exactly drop them, then
> pick them up again when it’s politically convenient for us to do
> so, can we?
>
> To me, what you are suggesting does the opposite of introducing or
> restoring integrity to any ICANN processes. It calls for us to
> abandon it.
>
> I personally have .org domain names registered, and am not at all
> pleased about its likely change of status from a NFP to a
> For-Profit org, but asking the ICANN Board to intervene on this imo
> opinion is not a good thing. Unless, of course, the change in
> status of PIR somehow conflicts with any obligations they have
> towards ICANN, but you haven’t pointed any out, and I have been
> unable to identify any conflicts with obligations so far (but I
> have tried to find any that might be out there).
>
> My suggestion to you and others would be to take this up with the
> folks we really need to take it up with - ISOC's senior management
> and ISOC’s Board of Trustees. They are the ones who are in a
> position to address the requests you’ve proposed, and they’re
> the ones who've created this whole situation to begin with.
>
> End of blunt response, at least for now. ;-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Amr
>
> > On Nov 21, 2019, at 8:11 PM, Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Stephanie, et. al.,
> >
> > I will not be at the IGF (darn budget constraint....I should have
> bought PIR (-:)) . Here is what I would suggest:
> >
> > I am not sure how we get THERE from HERE, but I think a letter to
> the board should focus on three aspects of the situation.
> >
> > - First, that the impending sale be delayed (if not terminated).
> > - Second, that PIR as the registry owner of .org should remain a
> not-for-profit entity, whomever owns it
> > - Third, the decision to uncap .org registration fees be
> revisited to look at a decision with more constraints with regard
> to fee increases.
> >
> > Somehow we have to restore integrity to the process, and in
> passing restore some of the tarnished dignity of ICANN.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
 in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: 613 476-0429 cell: 416-816-2852