From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2020 21:18:10 +0000
Hi Tapani,

You’re actually half-way there in terms of what I thought might have been a way forward on this. For clarity, I haven’t spoken about any of this to Rafik, and as you said, I am aware that it’s very unlikely that he may want to serve for a third-term…, but that isn’t what I had in mind.

What I was thinking was that he may continue between now, and when a new NCSG EC and Councilors are in place following the AGM in October. Once that is done, he could resign, and allow the new NCSG EC to fill his seat as per the NCSG Charter.

This would allow the current election cycle to proceed as planned without any unnecessary incident, and would also allow for the the empty seat to be appropriately filled in October, once the new NCSG Chair is in place, and when NPOC and NCUC confirm their own appointments to next year’s NCSG EC.

I am also in favor of using clear and unambiguous procedures that are already in place, particularly if their use is somewhat of a novel(ish) precedent. The Temp Spec was one such solution, and this could be too.

If you ask me for my personal insight, I believe it is unlikely that the Council would reject this course of action. They may even find it as interesting and novel as I (and perhaps you) do, especially if the plan to have Rafik step down in October is explained to them. I suspect the Council may very well vote unanimously on this (may even be placed on the Consent Agenda), but even if that isn’t the case, I’m confident enough to guess that a supermajority vote in favor of this may be reasonably expected.

This would be an interesting exercise, which may raise awareness of an existing procedure across the entire GNSO, not just the NCSG (I wonder how many from other SGs are aware of this), it’d allow us to move forward without the need to alter the election schedule or bend any rules, and should be a satisfactory outcome to all parties involved. It delays nothing, and creates no serious negative consequences that I can think of.

Yes…, the NCSG had fewer candidates than it needed, but that is a fact. No reason we need to find it embarrassing at all. We’re all volunteers here. Fortunately, the drafters of the ICANN Bylaws and GNSO Operating Procedures foresaw that issues like this (or even if not exactly like this one), and had the good sense to put in some procedures to allow what I believe is an elegant solution.

Thanks for entertaining me on this. :-)

Amr