From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:22:56 +0300
The discussion about gender balance rules took a bit of a strange
turn.

Anybody who's been in ICANN meetings (or indeed just about any other
comparable conference) and kept their eyes open will have noticed how
they are dominated by men. Not only is the number of women present
small, but they have a much harder time getting their voice heard.

NCSG, for all its faults, has been a shining counterexample, with an
exceptionally good gender balance and many strong women in the council
and other leadership positions over the years, working hard against
the odds and making a difference, notably including Robin and
Stephanie (I won't even try to name others, there are simply too many
to list).

And while our gender balance rule may on occasion appear unfair,
in the long run it is a good one, if only for highlighting the
generally unequal treatment women get.

I would encourage everybody who thinks women matter to vote Stephanie
to show it, rather than ignoring her because she'll get elected anyway
and letting her become a token woman elected on a technicality. Indeed
if you *don't* like the gender balance rule you should vote her to
show she's good enough to get elected on her own merit.

Because Stephanie *is* good, despite having also made enemies like
all strong-willed women tend to do.

Go, Steph, go!

--
Tapani