From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2020 14:29:49 +0300
On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 10:26:11AM +0000, Amr Elsadr ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> > On Jun 2, 2020, at 6:29 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > Second, the one-year term does not count in term limit in this case,
> > as per ICANN Bylaws 11.3(b). That is, whoever gets it may be elected
> > twice after that for a total of five years, whereas those who get two
> > years now can only do only one additional term for a total of four
> > years (absent special circumstances we discussed with Amr earlier,
> > which could allow an extra term in either case).

> I don’t believe this is correct. Only those selected/appointed to
> fill a vacancy fit the scenario you’re describing here, Tapani.

So you're arguing "selected to fill a vacancy in a term" would exclude
cases where someone is elected to fill an incomplete term.

That sounds like a reasonable interpretation but it's not an obvious
one, and I believe I have precedent on my side here: this has actually
happened and been debated before. I don't have time to look it up now,
but feel free to do the research, I might of course misremember.

Best,

--
Tapani Tarvainen