From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2020 14:57:09 +0300
I must echo Amr here. The stuff I've been debating with him here has
little bearing on the current elections, the hypothetical fifth
year is very unlikely to matter much in practice, and the option
of asking Rafik to continue was purely academic at the point in
time it was raised.

But the gender diversity rules are no loopholes but clear language of
the charter as Robin explained, they have been debated in length years
ago and clarified as the straightforward decision procedure I linked
to before.

It would undoubtedly have been good to remind people of them well
before the election, but it's not as if they had been made up last
night or even last year, and there's really no debate to be had about
how they actually work in the present election: the rules are clear
and have been there for all to read all along.

And earlier on there was no expectation that such an imbalance would
occur, the first four nominations were evenly balanced by gender.

Liz, if you or anyone else really feel elections are being manipulated
with dubious means, I would also appreciate clarification.

For myself I can say that I did nominate a woman and I am of course
campaigning for her, which I believe to be right and proper in any
election and not illicit manipulation in any shape or form, and while
the rules do favor her in this case I don't think it actually matters,
she'd win anyway. (I did nominate a man, too, so maintaining gender
balance also on that level.)

All the best,

Tapani

--