From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2020 17:40:44 +0300
Hi Tomslin,

That is indeed the key problem here: too many executive positions
vying for travel support that'd be more urgently needed for people
doing policy work.

But to do what Sam proposes in The Right Way (tm) would mean changes
all the way up to ICANN Bylaws, we'd have to get CSG to agree etc - it
would be a long road.

However, something could be done without such heavy bureaucracy,
if NCUC and NPOC were to agree. A few ideas:

* Make a rule that NCSG EC members are also constituency EC members.
The workload in NCSG EC isn't all that great, and that would reduce
the number of executive positions vying for travel support by four.
It might be best to make it automatic, tied to constituency elections;
in NPOC they could be tied to specific roles in the ExCom (say, Vice
Chair and Secretary), in NCUC maybe simply the two EC members who get
most votes.

* Change travel policies so that NCSG EC members do not get travel
support by virtue of that position (they could of course still travel
on constituency slots) and instead use the NCSG travel slots for people
doing policy work, e.g., those NCSG PC members who aren't councillors,
or others involved in important working groups or the like.

* Start holding joint EC meetings. Perhaps first just invite all
constituency EC members to NCSG EC meetings, with the goal of
eventually holding no constituency-specific EC meetings at all.

Those should achieve most of the goals Sam outlines without any loss
of total travel support and be doable without heavy bureaucracy or
changes in bylaws. Indeed I think just the respective ECs could do it
by defining suitable internal rules and procedures.

So it would just require NCUC and NPOC to agree (which admittedly
might not be all that easy).

And it would not prevent or hinder any attempts to get a more formal
change done, on the contrary if such a cooperation would work it
could pave way for changes in charters and bylaws.

Tapani

--
Tapani Tarvainen