From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2020 19:58:40 +0000
Hi,

To my knowledge, this isn’t something that ICANN has a say in. This would need to be a decision independently adopted by each Registry and Registrar for itself.

I don’t know how this would affect the finances of each of the Contracted Parties, but personally, if I received an email from my Registrar informing me that renewal fees are postponed for a couple of months, or some kind of grace period is allowed, I wouldn’t object. :-)

However, I suspect that this isn’t something that can be realistically implemented by all Contracted Parties. Different Registries and Registrars are of different sizes, have different financial standing, and generally have different sets of circumstances they need to operate under. This is all likely reason enough for ICANN to not involve itself in the matter. Not every Registrar out there is GoDaddy, for example, and not every Registry Operator is Verisign.

I haven’t heard of any Contracted Party performing outreach to its customers to enquire on their abilities to pay renewal fees at this time. Would be interested to see the results, if any surveys have been conducted, or if any information is available.

Thanks.

Amr