From:
Ken Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 12:13:16 -0400
Good question, Julf.

What occurs to me has to do with the verification that a variant means what the applicant say's it means.

Emmanuel, it's difficult for me to determine from the chart where in the process a proposed variant is validated by people who know what the string means.

While there are multistakeholder bodies to encode the characters, my understanding is that the actual variants will be up to each gTLD applicant to propose. Since language is often tied to culture, I suppose there is the risk that certain applicants may wish to suppress or enhance a particular meaning behind a string depending on the applicant's objective. Is there a place where that verification happens? It looks like it may happen during a comment period, but I cannot tell for sure.

Thanks.

Ken