Help for BOOK_ARTS-L Archives

BOOK_ARTS-L Archives

BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

BOOK_ARTS-L Home

BOOK_ARTS-L  February 2012

BOOK_ARTS-L February 2012

Binding Models at U Iowa -- Concave Spine / Reverse-Round, early example found

Bill Minter <[log in to unmask]>

Book_Arts-L <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:32:07 -0500

Friends and Colleagues,
In 1971, Bill Anthony and I produced an experimental binding with a
reverse-round, now known as the "concave spine". Our example of this
interesting binding structure had been lost for many years following
Bill's untimely death in 1989. The book was recently found and is
again part of the Univ. of Iowa's important collection of bookbinding
models (see below). Gary Frost, conservator emeritus pointed out this
special binding during my recent visit to the campus.
The reverse round / concave spine binding was made in 1971 shortly
after Bill had seen the famous BOOK OF KELLS during his trip back
home. Bill described how that important Irish manuscript had been
rebound by Roger Powell and that when the book is being exhibited at
Trinity College Dublin, the spine is supported with a wooden dowel. I
recall that Bill and I discussed "why do we bind books with a convex
spine, when the structure will undoubtedly reverse to a concave spine
when opened". To help answer that question, we bound a book with a
reverse-round.
I was glad to see that binding again after all these years. One can
easily understand that there is no movement of the spine, yet the
pages open freely. In recent years other binders have experimented
with this unique idea, the concave spine.

Historical Models at the University of Iowa:    While Bill was the
book conservator at the University of Iowa in the 1980's, he and his
students produced numerous examples of early bindings as well as a
few experimental bindings. Over the years more bindings have been
added to this important collection. Pictures of those bindings are
available at the following website:
http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/binding/index.php

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike