Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 18:04:46 -0400
Ed,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Edward Morris
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Milton,
>

> An exceptional series. Should be required reading.
>
> The question it brings to mind is why, given the lack of transparency and
> accountability, anyone would want to be part of an ICANN supporting
> organization. It's a question I think increasingly we all need to ask
> ourselves individually.

There is no lack of accountability or transparency in the ASO.  Don't
paint all SOs with a broad brush.

> You write about Steve Crocker. I was an academic member for about five years
> of the International Trademark Association, the trademark lobby. Saw Steve a
> few times at our meetings and conferences. The last one I was at was in
> December 2011 in Dublin:
> http://www.inta.org/Programs/Pages/2011EUInternet_Overview.aspx . I spoke to
> Steve in the lobby, he came over the night before, was leaving the following
> day...
>
> What was interesting to me was that Steve didn't come on as the 'keynote'
> until 5:45 Friday afternoon, a few weeks before Christmas, the last speaker
> of a one day conference. He had been in the hotel, in his room,  all day.By
> the time he came on to 'keynote', all but 10 to 15 of the participants had
> left the conference and gone elsewhere. All of the tables in the conference
> hall had been packed up and stored. Steve spoke for about 15 minutes, he had
> 3 or 4 slides - one of a gas station from 1950's California - and he left.
> It was the most unusual keynote address I've ever seen. He came all the way
> from North America for that? Interesting. I've always wondered what type of
> honoraria was involved - there may have been none, Dr. Crocker may have just
> been doing free outreach..but questions.

Well he was Chair of the Board since June 2011 and as such does get
paid for his time.  Probably not at a market rate however.

I think that such innuendo is beneath this list.

--
Cheers,

McTim