From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2014 17:06:27 -0800
I think the synthesis here is that sometimes the "point of proper balance
of PI" involves ICANN recusing itself from trying to decide some issues
within its own jurisdiction.

ICANN needs to get better at saying "that's not my job."  In many such
cases, there will be arguments to pull those issues into ICANN's
jurisdiction, often based on a claim of PI (one that NCSG will often feel
is bogus).

In those cases, there needs to be a two-pronged response:

 (1) "No, PI is better served by this different policy [   ]."  (This is
where I could see we might possibly benefit from a sort of "playbook" for
framing such issues, if not a fixed pronouncement of overarching policy.  I
like Joy's framing, if I might paraphrase: PI empowers the many/weak to
balance against the few/powerful.)

and

 (2) "ICANN should not acquire jurisdiction over that policy domain because
we are not institutionally appropriately equipped to adjudicate that
dispute, and we should not seek to acquire that expanded institutional
capacity because we don't have an accountability structure that could ever
support that dispute resolution process properly."

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.