From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2016 17:28:35 -0400
Hi,

Should we be able to work on stuff on list and in other environments
online in the meantime?

I think it would be good to talk about WS2 in NCSG before the one day
meeting in Helsinki some of us are hoping to  get to by hook or by crook
(or will be there in remote in any case).  Maybe a good time for our PC
to plan a webinar/discussion? Or maybe even a NCSG involvement campaign.

avri

On 26-May-16 16:56, Matthew Shears wrote:

> + 1 James
>
> But I think this raises an interesting question that's going to become
> more pressing post transition - which is how fast and how well
> NCSG/NCUC/NPOC can get up to speed in terms of not only their/our
> respective responsibilities with regard being part of the EC, but also
> in terms of what our views should be on WS2 - which at the moment is a
> hodge podge of issue areas that everyone is reading into.  While
> Helsinki is seemingly impossible to find time at for this type of
> important discussion - which shows how unhelpful this new structure is
> - perhaps we can find time to do a deep dive into these two matters in
> Hyderabad.
>
> Matthew
>

> On 5/26/2016 8:12 PM, James Gannon wrote:
>>

>> From: NCSG-Discuss <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Kathy Kleiman
>> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>> Date: Thursday 26 May 2016 at 19:15
>> To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>> Subject: Re: great opening statement by Brett
>>
>>     All,
>>
>>     I think the nuances of the concerns are being missed. There is
>>     something much, much more than the mere transition of the US
>>     Government out of its current role. As Avri pointed out earlier
>>     today:  "This was linked to improvements in ICANN
>>     accountability.  We fought for that and got it. Upfront we agreed
>>     to this process be divided into two parts."
>>
>>     I think everyone agrees with the transition -- Bret certainly
>>     said he did at the hearing. But it is those improvements of ICANN
>>     Accountability that people are questioning. Are they fair? Are
>>     they balanced? Are they understood by all who will be impacted by
>>     them
>>
>> JG: This was a process of two years produced in an open and inclusive
>> manner for everyone who wanted to be at the table, everyone had their
>> chance for input, for assessment for including the views of their
>> stakeholders, I contend that yes everyone who is impacted by these
>> changes has been engaged with.
>>
>>     I have to tell you I am concerned because there seem to be a lot
>>     of "gotchas" -- meaning every time I hear someone testify about
>>     the details of the Accountability & Transition plan, someone else
>>     (involved with the process) says that he/she/it did not
>>     understand it that way. There was certainly a lot of last minute
>>     changes and maneuvering.  There is not, frankly, a lot of
>>     knowledge or understanding about the details of how this
>>     restructuring and reorganization is going to work.
>>
>> JG: I disagree with this, we have a comprehensive plan, with a large
>> amount of detail, to a level that shows the details needed to
>> understand. If people do not wish to read the proposal and gain
>> understanding then I don’t feel that they have the ability to sit at
>> the sidelines and criticise. Informed criticism and feedback is
>> welcome, posturing is not.

> [...]

---