From:
"Carlos A. Afonso" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlos A. Afonso
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 14:16:43 -0300
Sam, your list of issues to be dealt with for the oversight issue (last
paragraph) is one I agree with. But I do not see why we miss the
opportunity of creating an international oversight body (if the
separability trend wins and a separate oversight is created) -- which
does not need to be under the USA laws to hold ICANN accountable.

Unless the international nature of its services is "flexible" enough to
become national when convenient for the insiders who do not wish to risk
being under true independent accountability oversight. I do not have to
mention examples of this in other areas (for the bad or good of it),
multilateral or private. I would dare to say there is not much to be
done for NRO to become an international oversight body of the IANA
function "IP addressing system", for example.

This would politically be a tremendous advance (if approved, of course)
in the face of the group of governments who keep advocating for a UN
takeover of the addressing system. With international, pluralist
oversight in a body based outside of the USA (I vote for Uruguay), this
would help defuse a lot of this unending campaign to move addressing to
the purview of the ITU or similar other multilateral schemas.

Some of us (many?) cannot see anything of this sort being possible
outside of the USA. But reducing it to an office within ICANN? Sad joke.

fraternal regards

--c.a.