From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Feb 2016 06:32:55 -0500
Agree with you on this Stephanie.

I personally believe that the Board had a good reason for submitting its
issues to the CCWG and for discussing them in that venue.  The CCWG
invited them to participate and make their issues known early.  This was
in order to avoid having a final proposal that was approved by the
chartering bodies that then had to go through the lengthy formal
negotiation process that would be necessitated if the Board issues had
not been dealt with, and compromised on, before the completion and
approval of the report.

Whether in the long run this technique helped us avoid further slippage
in our schedule or not is difficult to measure.  I think ignoring the
Board's issues until the end of the process would have caused greater
schedule slippage and ruined the chances of completing the transtion
this year.  So as opposed to seeing their actions as threatening the
schedule, I see them as ultimately preserving our chance of meeting the
transition schedule.

Having said that, I think asking the Board abut the way they worked with
the CCWG they did is a good idea.  While I am making assumptions about
why they acted as they did, I do not believe they ever gave us a clear
statement that this was their intent.  This question is important not
only in regard to the CCWG but on ways of working with the Board going
further.  Do we want them to only speak and act at the end of a
processes, or do we want to integrate working their issues in the course
of policy development.  I prefer working through the process with all
the various issues and viewpoints, as I want to avoid situations where
the Board decides we have left issues open and decides that it is its
responsibility to 'fix' things we have not not covered completely,
something it has done all too often.

I also believe that it would be good to discuss the issue with Markus as
the Board member elected by the NCPH in a calm and non accusatory
manner.   It would be good to discuss his reasoning with his
electorate.  I expect he has an explanation.

Re:

> so out of touch with the NCSG (with one exception).

On the issue of only one person in NCSG having agreed to compromises
with the board: while I was the only NCSG participant that was vocal in
the CCWG on the side of compromise, I do not believe that I am in the
only one in the NCSG who can support the compromises that have been
reached.  While we had some webinars after the initial 3rd draft, we
have not had public discussions on the NCSG Discuss list of all the
compromises that were worked through in the last few weeks of the
discussions. Perhaps we should spend part our Constituency and SG
meetings to discuss/debate these compromises and the reason some thought
then anathema while others thought them necessary and acceptable.

Though I was not an NCSG representative on the CCWG but rather a
participant who also had responsibility as a expert on the ATRT, I am
willing to explain the principles that guided my reasoning and
demarcated the areas in which I was willing to compromise and those I
wasn't, from a personal perspective.

avri

---