From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:33:01 +0100
Hi,

On 9 Oct 2009, at 08:10, Joly MacFie wrote:

> While we did not manage to resolve the differences in the
> 'constituency'
> versus 'broad tent' approaches to the NCSG I think we did find some
> common ground in agreeing that there are definite flaws in the SIC
> proposal,
> not to mention process.

I very much appreciate the opportunity to listen in.  And I think
bringing these protagonists together in one room was a great idea.

As for resolving the issues, I think if we bring a few more people
into the tent, like some of those on the chat session, we probably can
find a way to common ground.  What we really need to count on is
someone giving us the time, space and resources to negotiate and work
things out.

One point I would like to make.  While the NCUC did request that there
be no constituencies approved until the new SG charter was worked out
because that would act as forcing function as to the kind of charter
that could be worked out.

And while the NCUC did request that the charter negotiation be
completed within a year, no one ever said it had to take a year.  I
expect it could be completed within weeks if the opportunity and
resources for a real sit down negotiation were provided.

This is where the ICANN Policy staff  needs to become an enabler for
resolution, as a support to us working out our differences as opposed
to acting as a champion for one side or another.  This would be the
greatest of changes, one we yet have to see, but one which I hope the
new CEO can effect.

I remain forever hopeful that the right conditions can prevail and
that the agreement can be reached.  I still think that a coordinated
set of civil society groups can be a formidable force inside ICANN.
Even if we never will have the money the commercial side does.

a.