From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:20:20 -0400
Hi,

On 22-Sep-14 20:19, Rafik Dammak wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> just to clarify here, being a non-profit organization is not enough
> condition to become NCSG member, it needs to be non-commercial too. I
> think that was said several time, but better to reiterate : NCUC has
> organizations and individuals as members, while NPOC has
> organizations only. better to read their charters to understand their
> missions.

The point is made specifically in the NCSG discussion of Organizational
members:

>> 1. The Organization is incorporated as a noncommercial entity (in
>> countries that have such a provision in their commercial code) or,
>> if unincorporated, or if operating in a country without provisions
>> for noncommercial incorporation, that operates on a not‑for‑profit
>> basis primarily for noncommercial purposes, and

Specifically the NCSG is only for Non Commercial entities.

Beyond that, it not only needs to be non-commercial, but it needs to
have a non-commercial purpose.

>> 3. Is engaged in online activities that are primarily noncommercial,
>> including, e.g., advocacy, educational, religious, human rights,
>> charitable, scientific and artistic, and

And then just to make sure the a non-commercial aggregating entity with
commercial members would not qualify, the last requirement in the
charter states:

>> 4. In the case of a membership-based organization, the organization
>> should not only be noncommercial itself, but should have a primarily
>>  noncommercial focus, and the membership should also be primarily
>> composed of noncommercial members.  (E.g., a chamber of commerce,
>> though it may be a noncommercial organization itself, and might even
>>  have some noncommercial members, is primarily composed of commercial
>>  organizations and has a commercial focus and would not be eligible
>> for membership.)

Yes, just so there would be no doubt, an example was included in the
charter approved by the Board.

So it does make perfect sense to me that first an organization shows
that it is non-commercial (it also needs a domain name)* to join the NCSG.

And then if it likes and if it meets the requirements of NPOC, it can
join the NPOC constituency. And if it likes and meets the requirements
of NCUC it can join them too.  And if there were more constituencies, &c.

But as the charter currently stands membership in the NCSG is the
primary membership and membership in constituencies derives from NCSG
membership + any additional requirements that constituencies may impose
that don't conflict with NCSG's primary requirements.

avri

* one oddity of the charter is that we do not require that name to be a
gTLD.  It could be a ccTLD, as long as it supports WHOIS.  An oversight
in the writing, which may be worth fixing someday. Then again, maybe not.