From:
Pranesh Prakash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pranesh Prakash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2015 01:24:58 +0530

If the sole aim of this transition is not to impact IANA operations, then we might as well not have a transition at all. Seun, if the criteria are to be "workability" and "no negative impact on IANA operations", then why have this public discussion on transition? The US govt could easily have work out a closed door deal with the ICANN board and Verisign and get them to directly contract, cutting out NTIA, and be done with this entire "transition" business.

If part of the goal is to lessen the US jurisdictional control over IANA operations, this is an utter failure.

If part of the goal is to gain legitimacy from the global community, outside of the technical community, for the way the DNS system is set up and redress the concerns about the US that have continually been raised since before WSIS, this is an utter failure.

Jurisdictional resilience of the root zone is decreased when the RZA and the RZM are located in the same jurisdiction. And that's what is continuing to happen. But if this continues, then we can continue to expect cases like the .ir case. That is unfortunate.

On 23 August 2015 1:12:15 am IST, Seun Ojedeji <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>While I would have also preferred prior community engagement on this.
>However, based on what has been proposed (which seem quite complicated
>by
>the way), the question on feasibility of the proposal (even if
>community
>was consulted) still rest on the IFO and since ICANN was very much
>involved
>in developing this proposal, one can conclude that they found it
>workable
>and will not have negative impact on IANA operations.
>It may be helpful to get such assurance from ICANN officially.
>
>Regards
>
>Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
>Kindly excuse brevity and typos.
>On 21 Aug 2015 21:58, "Pranesh Prakash" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> Given that the root zone maintainer function is one of the crucial
>parts
>> of this moving ship along with the root zone administrator and the
>root
>> zone operator, it is shocking that NTIA has decided to go ahead
>> unilaterally on this issue by consulting the two parties who would
>argue
>> for status quo on this issue.
>>
>> Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pranesh
>>
>> Rafik Dammak <[log in to unmask]> [2015-08-18 12:06:42 +0900]:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> please find below the blog post from NITA with update about the
>process.
>>> quite interesting points: the extension of the contract till
>September
>>> 2016
>>> and also the proposal submitted by verisign and ICANN.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Rafik Dammak

- --
twitter:https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash