From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:00:07 +0200
On Feb 29 08:46, DeeDee Halleck ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> I agree with Klaus that “broad stakeholder engagement” is needed. I have
> attempted to discuss ICANN with my colleagues (independent/community media
> producers and communications academics) but hit a wall of glazed-over eyes
> when trying to explain the importance of DNS regulation.

Me too. :-(

> One obvious problem in “non-commercial” participation is the lack of
> adequate support for the cost of face to face participation.

That is a very good point in general. However:

> Even if I had the frequent flier miles to get to Marrakech, how
> could I afford the posh hotels available?

There are lots of cheap accommodation options in Marrakech even if
ICANN doesn't tell you about them, and taxis are also cheap so you
don't need to stay next door to the meeting site.

One thing we could do for future meetings is to ask ICANN look up and
maybe negotiate rates for some cheap hotels for participants paying
their own way.

--
Tapani Tarvainen