From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2010 20:52:11 -0700
I totally agree, I was just being ironic for a joke (actually, I wish it
were just a joke).

The only answer I can imagine to your last question is that ICANN is viewed
by some interests that wish to exercise power (in their narrow interests)
as a potential enforcement agent for that power.

Perhaps if they get a foothold in gTLDs, they might be able to extend that
to 2LDs, and then eventually to content on those 2LDs.  Then maybe they can
pull all the sailed ships (that don't satisfy their criteria) back to port.
If the registrar gets instructions from the registry, it's not such a big
deal to pull the plug on a domain name that is in violation of policy set
by ICANN for the registries.

One could argue that the net neutrality ship sailed years ago (i.e., in the
original end-to-end design of TCP/IP, etc.).  But clearly, it is not out of
danger yet, because we could still lose it.  Same deal here.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.