From:
"Subrenat, Jean-Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Subrenat, Jean-Jacques
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:26:17 +0100
I appreciate Sam's analysis and support his suggestion of asking 3 questions. For the benefit of those who know everything about the Internet and ICANN, but slightly less about UDHR and related issues, I would suggest adding some words to help focus on the challenges at hand (IN BOLD BELOW):

First, using the UDHR as a preference point, where are the ICANN policy areas that impact on building, sustaining and protecting a just society? (WHAT ICANN POLICIES (AND NOT ONLY STATEMENTS) ADDRESS THE INTERESTS OF THE GENERAL INTERNET USER, AS DISTINCT FROM, SAY, THE INTERESTS OF THE DOMAIN NAME INDUSTRY?).

Second, on both the HR and PI fronts, what is ICANN’s track record (key performance indicators?) with regard to building, sustaining and protecting a just society? (SOME EXAMPLES: ARE THE RIGHTS OF INTERNET USERS (PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA, PRIVACY, "RIGHT TO BE FORGOTTEN") ADEQUATELY PROTECTED BY THE DEFAULT SETTINGS USUALLY CHOSEN BY PROVIDERS OF SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS AND HARDWARE?

Third, what are the lessons learned here with regard to corrective and future ICANN policy? AMONG THE MAIN REFERENCE TEXTS (UDHR, BUT MORE SPECIFICALLY COUNCIL OF EUROPE REPORT ON INTERNET RIGHTS), WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS WHICH COULD BE ADAPTED TO ICANN?

Jean-Jacques.