From:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:00:08 +1100
Hi Ron,

Normally we (and other civil society coalitions I know of that are
involved in global policy debates & negotiations) don't go through
elaborate processes like voting in order to offer simple endorsements
of partner coalitions' statements, particularly when they go in the
same direction as our own efforts, and this would be particularly
difficult with something time sensitive.  Certainly I've never seen it
done, in any event.

Do you have a substantive concern with the document, or are you only
raising a process point?

Thanks,

Bill

On Oct 24, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Ron Wickersham wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone object if NCUC as a whole signs on to this Declaration?
>
> suggest that we have a discussion period after the heat of the Seoul
> meeting passes and then put it to a vote of the membership.
>
> ideally such a discussion would bring out where we strongly agree with
> the Declaration and areas (if any) where we have reservations, or feel
> the document is weak, etc.
>
> putting the issue to a vote of the membership, if the endorsement
> passes, would make our constituency's signature more powerful than
> a quick run-by on the mailing list.
>
> respectfully,
>
> -ron

William J. Drake