From:
"Milan, Stefania" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milan, Stefania
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2016 23:46:39 +0000
> everyone had a chance to run as candidate. Why no more candidates were
> (self)nominated?

This is a good question, but not the only question.
Tentative answers could include some of the following: because it is a lot of hard work. Because sometimes the tension in this community is intimidating. Because sometimes this community is intimidating. Because we are all volunteers and time is limited (and ICANN not the only organizing in the world worth volunteering for)...?

But at the stage we are in, this question, and these tentative answers, are pointless. While accountability remains an open, and very key, concern. Thanks Stephanie for this reminder, which (I am sure) interprets the thoughts of many others in this community.

Reporting by us councillors, as discussed recently, might increase transparency, but is not as such a mechanism of accountability. It is only the first step towards accountability, while to date we have no clue as to how to enhance and enforce accountability of the NCSG. I am sure each of us do their very best, but this is not a sufficient condition. And we can certainly not expect ICANN to be accountable, if we are not the first ones to embrace accountability in our daily work within ICANN.

 Stefi