From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:57:15 -0400
Hi,

It is my assumption that they want to ban these names in gTLD (generic
top level domains) space and not ccTLDs (country code top level domains).

I agree, though, ccTLDs are a best buy, and I have been focusing on
them, especially .is for a while now as a source of domain names.

avri

On 03-Oct-14 15:49, Carlos Raúl G. wrote:
> Dear Robin,
>
> What if, under the same concept of subsidiarity, instead of
> Governments, this responsibility would be delegated to the respective
> ccTLDs? Would it be more or less legitimate? Let me tell you that at
> least in the case of Costa Rica, our Government is more accountable
> and far more bottom up than the ccTLD chosen by ICANN.
>
> After the sour experience with .amazon and .patagonia I certainly
> agree that changes are necessary, probably at many levels.
>
> If you have a better suggestion, I would love to hear it.
>
> Best
>
> Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez +506 8335 2487 Enviado desde mi iPhone
>
>> El 3/10/2014, a las 13:17, Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
>> escribió:
>>
>> I think we should submit comments on this proposal from a GAC
>> Sub-group on Geographic Names in future gtld rounds to "respect
>> national sensitivities".
>>
>> In short, the GAC proposal calls for a change in the policy in the
>> applicant guidebook to require applicants to obtain the permission
>> of governments before they can use a word that could be considered
>> a country, territory or place name, and country, territory or
>> regional language or people descriptions.
>>
>> GAC wants to override the GNSO's policy from 2008 and the AGB.  GAC
>> relies heavily on the presumption that restricting gtlds in this
>> fashion is automatically in the public interest and therefore ICANN
>> must do it.  Of course it will have the effect of dramatically
>> restricting speech in tlds and further empowering governments over
>> people's use of the Internet.  Unfortunately the GACification of
>> ICANN continues apace.  Sigh.
>>
>> Robin
>>
>> https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory+Committee

Draft document from GAC Sub-group on Geographic Names - Community input
sought