Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2020 19:34:00 -0700
Dear Amr, Stephanie and Farrell,

Tx for a great conversation taking place. Amr, tx for laying out the
issues and EPDP discussions. Stephanie, tx for adding the civil law
perspective.  It's fascinating to read what the EPDP is debating and
discussing.  You are absolutely right that this is an issue in which
NCSG has been involved for years.

Whether it is on WHOIS teams or Proxy/Privacy
PDP Working Groups, we have shared that there is no bright line
between legal persons and natural persons -- a noncommercial
organization often starts as the collection of just a few individuals;
most mom-run and senior-run businesses I know are run by one person
from his/her home. Both groups would be exposed if forced to publish
their names and home addresses.  My understanding was GDPR and laws
throughout the US and UK (common law countries) protect their privacy
in many circumstances.  Of course, these privacy protections should be
embedded in the WHOIS/RDDS rules ICANN makes!

Thanks for laying out the special way in which the EPDP is approaching
this issue -- and the state of the discussion.  The cost/benefit
analysis is fascinating and the liability of misjudging the right
protection could be enormous.  I can see why registries and registrars
would want to be cautious.

The best news is that deadline for comment is still before us!  (For
some reason I thought we were near a deadline.)

Amr, Stephanie, all of our EPDP members: thank you for your diligent
and endless work on the EPDP.  We and the world deeply appreciate all
you are doing.  Amr and Sephanie, thank you for taking the time to
answer questions too!

Best, Kathy

here: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/epdp-phase-2-addendum-2020-03-26-en

>>> I hope this was helpful. Please do                       keep the
>>> questions coming, if you have more,                       Kathy. This,
>>> of course applies to anyone here. We                       have a
>>> significantly large team of NCSG members                       working
>>> on the EPDP, and we’re happy to answer
questions
>>> or hold discussions as often as needed.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Amr

--  Kathy Kleiman President, Domain Name Rights Coalition

Links:
------
[1] http://linkedin.com/in/farellf
[2]