From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 09:42:25 +0300
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:42:26PM -0400, Avri Doria ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I still believe that the two applications processes
>
> - to join the NCSG
> - to join a constituency
>
> Should be completely de-coupled.
>
> To link them gives the impression that joining a constituency is the
> norm and is an expectation is not a requirement.  It isn't.  It is an
> extra membership that one should consider carefully once they have been
> a NCSG for a while.

This is a political question. Technically it is easy enough to do
either way, regardless of the database solution used.
It is also easy to change at any time, just remove the tick boxes
for joining constituencies in the NCSG application form, or change
their shape or whatever.

Given the way constituencies now work (and SG doesn't) in recruiting
new members to their own ranks it makes sense to keep constituency
application in the same form, but I suspect that's exactly what you
want to change... anyway, as noted, it's not a technical issue.

> I do believe that there should be a single database with sufficient
> access control to allow anyone in the world to see who is a member of
> the NCSG and of any of its constituencies to meet transparency
> requirements, with all other information restricted to the member and a
> secretariat function.

Agreed.

--
Tapani Tarvainen