From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:01:29 +0200
Hi Ayden,

Responding to a specific point you raised on the membership of the review team:

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 10:23 PM, Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[SNIP]

> There is certainly value in having a Review team filled with those with a strong understanding of how policy is set within ICANN, and with a deep knowledge of the historical evolution of WHOIS policy and the operational issues which effect those tasked with implementing it. That said, I find it problematic limiting membership to those who “have either participated in, or tracked closely, the 1st Review Team’s Recommendations”, as it suggests to me that we want a similar outcome to the first review rather than a fresh pair of sufficiently-qualified eyes re-reading relevant material and drawing fact-based conclusions. This, in my opinion, is inconsistent with the idea of the Affirmation of Commitments being a framework for keeping ICANN accountable, transparent, and operating in the global public interest.

For better or for worse, it will be necessary to constitute the various upcoming review teams in accordance with the newly adopted bylaws. Check Article 4, Section 4.6 (a), which outlined the “Operating Standards” applicable to periodic reviews of ICANN structure and operations: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article4. I’ve also pasted it below this email for easy reference.

The short version of all this is that each review team will consist of up to 21 members, with each SO/AC nominating up to 7 potential members. Additionally, each SO/AC is guaranteed a minimum of 3 of its candidates being appointed. Additionally, although membership is limited to 21, there may be an open number of observers to any of the reviews, but being an observer is not the same thing as being a participant. So observers will likely not be able to post to the review team email list or attend calls. That isn’t to say that live audio streams may not be available, and in some instances in the past, ICANN even set up an additional AC room for observers to use.

Having said all that, I agree that limiting membership to those you specified above (as was the case in earlier scoping document) may not be the best approach — although my reasons are probably not due to any perceived conflict with ICANN's accountability, transparency or any notion related to the global public interest. More practically, IMHO, there has been a considerable amount of work done on whois since the last review, and having members of the second review team who have been involved in that work may be useful.

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Amr

From the bylaws: