From:
Klaus Stoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klaus Stoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:28:09 -0400
Dear Niels

On 8/3/2016 11:02 AM, Niels ten Oever wrote

> I was for instance very surprised, and quite shocked frankly, when one
> of our own councillors, as the only one on the GNSO, came out against
> the inclusion of a commitment to human rights in ICANNs bylaws.

Yes accountability is important, all for it, but we should not forget
another value: Continence.
Sometimes you have to go against what your group tells you because of
your continence.
I was a continuous objector to join the German army, and I paid for it,
but I still believe I was 100% right.
We should learn to respect and even foster people that act on their
ethical values, even if their brothers and sisters call for their head.
What is more important: Having people act on what they fundamentally
believe or act on what they have been told by the majority, however well
meaning it is.

Again, we should learn to respect and value those amongst us that are
brave enough to follow their ethical compass.

For what it's worth

Yours

Klaus