From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2016 11:12:15 -0500
I am tossing my name into the pool of candidates for this ccWG with
regard to the auction funds. I hope that more new fresh faces will offer
their names as well, but this is my contribution to expanding the
selection pool. As I understand the task, this WG is to recommend the
mechanisms for administering the funds. This is prior to, and separate
from, the task of deciding how the funds are to be used.

My expertise and motivations are as follows. First, I am an economist
with a long history on not-for-profit sector boards, founding boards, as
treasurer, etc. I understand the key issues involved around the three or
four major models for setting up the mechanisms for administering such
funds. Second, the setup must be done correctly. A bad setup can be
overly costly, even when a good allocation process is in place. The
funds are intended for the
good works they will enable, and not to support expensive administrative
overheads.

In terms of my ICANN commitment, 2016 has been a difficult year for me,
although I have put in considerable effort “below the radar” within
NPOC/NCSG. In 2017, as a Prof. Emeritus (retired), I will have the time
in 2017 to commit to active participation in this CCWG. I am a strong
practitioner of open communication, due diligence and consulting widely.
The Canadian Society for International Health (csih), the organization
that appointed me to represent their NPOC/NCSG membership, is focused on
global health systems strengthening. Their concerns focus on health
related DNS issues (.health, .pharmacy, etc.). Beyond that they do not
have an organizational agenda for ICANN public policy, other than that I
participate “in the public interest”

Applicants are asked for experience and degree of knowledge of the DNS
needs of ICANN’s stakeholder communities, and of the broader Internet
ecosystem community. After 3+ years of learning within ICANN I feel
adequate there. I do note that as I understand the task here, it is to
design how the funds are to be handled, and not what they are going to
be used for. Knowledge of the DNS needs of ICANN’s stakeholder
communities is more crucial to the second stage in this process.

Sam Lanfranco