From:
"Andrew A. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew A. Adams
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:28:29 +0200
In regards specifically to the notion of creating an "academic" constituency
within the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group, it strikes me that there isn't
really a clear definition of the purpose of constituencies within SGs. The
purpose of the SGs would appear clear - to provide the GNSO with balanced
(in multiple ways) inputs from various groups whose views are believed to be
important in reaching suitable compromises on individual issues or balancing
benefits and detriments between groups across multiple decisions. Whether
this works or is the right structure is a separate question, at least the
intent is relatively clearly defined. However, within SGs, the purpose of
constituencies appears to me to have been pushed as a thing for its own sake,
perhaps with hidden motives such as attempting to weaken consensus or
majority dominance within some SGs. But the rationale and the expected
structure that should emerge within NCSG from the proposed multiple
constituencies is still unclear. Is it intended that any group with a
significant common factor should form separate constituencies, with
individual's and organisation's overlaps between constituencies allowing for
our multiple facets? I am both an academic researching relevant issues and a
registrant of a personal domain name, for example.

Or are constituencies supposed to reflect differing types of SG member where
those different groups share some specific common interest in elements of the
domain name system? If it's the latter, I do not see an academics group being
suitable, though as mentioned non-profit/public universities as bodies might
wish to form their own group or join NPOC (if approved).

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      [log in to unmask]
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and