From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:25:35 -0400
On 17 Mar 2010, at 14:15, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Avri Doria wrote:
>> On 17 Mar 2010, at 13:11, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>

>>> BTW - how do I apply for the .reality TLD?
>>>

>> once the final applicant guidebook is released sometime between now and 2012 (draft details can be found at
>> http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-program.htm
>> ), follow its instructions, pay the big bucks (185,000 USD at the moment) and then go through the process and hang on through the challenges.
>>
>> better have some deep pocket for the ride.
>>
>> a.
>>

> $185,000 - so only the rich can get TLDs. Why is that?

either (actual quotes - indirectly)

a. because it is cost recovery and a narrative has been woven to say this is the cost recovery point
b. because anyone who can't afford 185,000 can't afford to run a registry so what's your problem
c. got to keep out those who aren't really serious about running a registry
d. because if it was cheeper someone really rich could corner the market and buy all the cool names

...  and other such classics

a.