From:
"Subrenat, Jean-Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Subrenat, Jean-Jacques
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2016 10:12:31 +0200
Hello Michael,

as a member of the ICG, but writing here in a private capacity, I would like to point out the dangers of using the term "transition" too loosely.

The proposal submitted by the ICG, based on input from the global Internet community, does not call for the transition, in other words the transfer of IANA, the entity itself. As you are aware, the original intent of the United States Administration, as confirmed again by the NTIA in its instructions of 2014, was and is the transition OF OVERSIGHT of the IANA Functions.

For anyone not fully versed in Internet matters, and there may be a handful of them in legislative bodies in various countries, repeating that what is at stake is the TRANSITION OF IANA amounts to waving a red flag, suggestive of slyly abandoning sovereign rights. We must make clear, once again, that it is the TRANSITION OF OVERSIGHT we are talking about.

I plead with you, and with all the colleagues who have posted a great number of messages on this thread, to make sure that the proper terminology is used, failing which those messages may be counter-productive.

Regards,
Jean-Jacques.