From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:21:29 -0400
Stephanie,

I got onto this track because of questions about the Bitcoin as a viable
fiat/digital currency (which is a whole other question) but the deeper I
dug and the more I listened to the research groups dealing with the
blockchain technology the more it looks like there is something in
blockchain for the domain name/WhoIS area that could apply to both
registration and the payments issues, and the bigger part is with regard
to registering and transferring ownership.  As for the payments issue,
there are a zillion variations of Bitcoin in the works: BitGold, BitOil,
and probably bigger moves to BitUS$, BitEuro, etc. There are Bitcoin
researchers and blockchain researchers and I am searching to see if any
of the latter have looked at the domain name registration issues. I see
that Andrew Adams has provided a link to some thought in this area. From
a technical perspective there may be something there. From a business
perspective I can see why ICANN, registries, and registrars would not be
too keen on exploring solutions using blockchain technology.

Sam

--

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured