From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:30:19 -0700
Again, not to drag this further off topic, but the most unsettling thing
I've head about IOT recently was this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/03/11/privacy-advocates-try-to-keep-creepy-eavesdropping-hello-barbie-from-hitting-shelves/

Now not just *advertising* is aimed at kids, but the products themselves
may collect personal data about them (over the Internet to a central
big-data repository for semantic analysis) and use them for deeper
personalized manipulation, yikes...

I can just see it now, when some advertiser pays for "product placement"
in the Hello Barbie doll:  "So Missy, if you don't get your parents to buy
you Happy Fun Cereal for breakfast, I won't be your friend anymore.  I
want you to prove you did -- tell me the sales code from the box to make
sure."

But of course, this goes far beyond the realm of DNS per se, sorry for the
tangent...

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.