From:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:09:32 -0400
I've been working my way through the accountability proposal - does
anyone know if someone has put together a clean version of the full
ICANN By-laws as they would look if the Proposal were adopted in its
current form?  I think it would be very useful to have that - I find
that it's enormously difficult to get a sense of the whole package,
and how the various parts interrelate, without it.

On the merits, I continue to think that an enormous amount is riding
on the success/failure of the IRP -  the Single Member structure is
cumbersome, and will likely make it difficult for the single member
to take action, which increases the importance of the IRP's role; the
IRP will be called upon to make very difficult judgments about what
ICANN's mission is, and what the words in the Bylaws actually mean in
practice; Paul's example of the "ambiguity as to the role of
governments in the reformed ICANN" is but one of many ambiguities
that will need to be worked out over time - and I am not yet
confident that the IRP is set up to perform this task well.  The
devil's in the details, and I don't think we've got the details right yet.

David

At 04:59 PM 8/10/2015, Mueller, Milton L wrote:
>I am surprised at how little discussion we are seeing here about the
>ICANN accountability and IANA reform proposals.
>Let's get some going!
>
>First, how many of us have actually read the ICG's combined IANA
>transition proposal or useful summaries of the proposal? Would it be
>useful for someone to set out a basic outline of the key elements of
>the proposal and identify points of controversy upon which NCSG
>might want to comment?
>
>Second, how many of us have actually read the CCWG's proposed
>accountability reforms? Would it be useful for someone to set out a
>basic outline of the key elements of the proposal and identify
>points of controversy upon which NCSG might want to comment?
>
>Dr. Milton L. Mueller
>Professor, School of Public Policy
>Georgia Institute of Technology

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com