From:
Norbert Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norbert Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:28:40 +0700
Thanks, Friends,

for all the good work. Since a year ago I live in the province, between
some hills, I have only occasional Internet access (when I travel out),
so I cannot participate more actively.

But that is why I send you now my thanks - your efforts are along the
same line I tried to follow when I was more active - as a NCUC member,
later as a GNSO councilor, and finally in the Nominating Committee.

Almost "retired",

Norbert
Cambodia

=

On 8/27/2014 1:45 AM, Amr Elsadr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the draft and revision Ed and Stephanie. I am certainly in
> favour of submitting this. The more information we have on the context
> of this proposed amendment to the by-laws, the more informed we will
> be on submitting feedback to the proposal.
>
> I would like to (grudgingly) note that according to the ICANN by-laws,
> all that is required to amend those very by-laws is a 2/3 vote by the
> board in favour. I don’t even think that a public comment period is
> mandatory. I’m not entirely sure about this, but this requirement
> isn't explicitly made clear in the by-laws or even the articles of
> incorporation. This would change if ICANN became a membership-based
> organisation (not that I am saying this is a good thing as I haven’t
> really thought out the ramifications).
>
> I suspect that this will come to a board vote, and when it does, I
> hope there is so much push-back from the community; enough to have the
> required number of board members vote against the amendment.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Amr
>
> On Aug 26, 2014, at 3:30 PM, Stephanie Perrin
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for doing this Ed, this is great!  I could become a real
>> enthusiast of this process!!!  Having been a FOIA coordinator here in
>> Canada, I have reacted like a bureaucrat and suggested a few word
>> changes in the attached markup version...some for clarity, and some
>> because I can imagine documents which in fact might fit in some of
>> the categories, which the GAC could have in their possession, and
>> could have submitted to the Board.
>> I think we need, on a separate note, to be pushing for independent
>> oversight of such requests, through the Ombudsman.  You don't have
>> that in the US, but in Canada we have independent Information
>> Commissioners who review exemption decisions (among many other
>> things).  That would be a good thing, as the Board appears to have
>> some accountability issues, possibly statutory in nature, that make
>> their review of staff decisions on these matters problematic.
>> Great job!
>> Stephanie Perrin
>> On 14-08-26 8:05 AM, Rafik Dammak wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> that was requested for NCSG PC consideration.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Rafik

>>> Ed