From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 19:23:09 -0400
Carlos, I agree with your argument here. I am mainly concerned with
anticipating the challenges that will confront a body charged with
independent accountability oversight, not whether or not there should be
one. Their has to be such a body for whatever structures result, in
order for them to have legitimacy and adhere to principles.  As you
mention, in addition to a properly constituted body (proper in terms of
the task at hand) this would hopefully remove the grounds for continuous
speculation about handing the task off to an existing, or proposed,
multilateral body. At the same time, there is enough going on within
ICANN's work and remit to justify retaining an ombudsperson office.

Lastly, although I sound like a musician playing the same note over and
over again, I do caution that we pay more attention to the multilateral
treaty negotiations taking place (Trans Pacific, and European) since,
from an economists perspective, they are only a little about trade per
se, and a lot about how to handle intellectual property, and extending
the rights of commercial interests over those of government legislative
policy. Those processes would view trampling on ICANN policy as easy as
a walk in the park. There is a real risk of tipping the playing field
there, even with regard to the DNS system.

As you know, at the moment a global tobacco company is hammering
Uruguay's position on tobacco products, using such non-transparent and
unaccountable "trade treaty" mechanisms. Canada has similar tobacco
policies but global corporate giants always pick in the smallest players
as their opening move. If they had to put ICANN in their sights, they
would probably simply view ICANN as collateral "road kill".

Sam L.