From:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 08:56:47 +0200
Hi Milton

Thanks for putting this forward, insightful stuff that nicely restates and extends the views you've been articulating about GAC for some time.  You obviously hit some key nails right on the head.  My problem is, your tool of choice is something bigger than a hammer—more like a nuke.  I'm afraid I agree with Kathy that the consistently caustic tone, which would be fine in an IGP blog entry, seems entirely misplaced in a démarche from a SG that presumably would like to be able to communicate with and influence the GAC.  I've been talking to the chair and others about trying to organize some sort of interaction between us and them at a future meeting, something we've thus far failed to do, and a letter like this would seem likely to slam that door shut and lock in outdated misperceptions of NC.  I think it would be better to raise our concerns in a more neutral and less seethingly anti-governmental manner, without phraseology like "has attempted to take over the process" and "either unaware of or disliked the results of an open transparent MS process and now see to overturn it through what it calls 'advice'" and so on for five pages.  It feels like one of those old French Foreign Legion movies where they rip off some poor schmuck's epaulettes and send him off into the desert.  But GAC's not going off to the desert, and this could effectively send us instead.  I for one don't want to go, I'd rather stay in the game and try to get them to listen to us without their heads exploding.

If you're willing to entertain a collective process of tweaking that might dull some of your favorite blades, great, I'd participate and I imagine others would as well.  But if this is one where you feel too strongly about maintaining this "voice" to abide any meddling, my suggestion would be to go the IGP blog and public comment routes.  Either way, I don't see how something very close to the current formulation can be a consensus statement.

Up to you,

Bill