Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 21:16:30 -0400
Flavio, Carlos and all,

I have read the LACRALO objection.

It is a community objection.  the GAC isn't making these "community objections".

In fact, the Guidebook says that

"The GAC may provide advice on any topic and is not limited to
the grounds for objection enumerated in the public
objection and dispute resolution process."

the Beijing Communique says:

"b. Safeguard	Advice	for	New	gTLDs
To	reinforce	existing	processes	for	raising	and	addressing	concerns	the	GAC	is	providing
safeguard	advice	to	apply to	broad	categories	of	strings	(see	Annex	I).
c. Strings	for	Further	GAC	Consideration
In	addition	to	this	safeguard	advice,	that	GAC	has	identified	certain	gTLD	strings	where
further	GAC	consideration	may	be	warranted,	including	at	the	GAC	meetings	to	be	held
in	Durban.
i. Consequently,	the	GAC	advises	the	ICANN	Board to: not	proceed	beyond
Initial	Evaluation	with	the	following strings	: .shenzhen	(IDN	in	Chinese),
.persiangulf,	.guangzhou	(IDN	in	Chinese),	.amazon	(and	IDNs	in	Japanese
and	Chinese),	.patagonia, .date,	.spa,	.	yun,	.thai, .zulu,	.wine,	.vin"

In other words, the GAC is saying, we aren't objecting to these, but
we reserve the right to object to them in future.

Well, they have had 11 months to figure out if they will object, and
haven't yet done so.

They have only objected to one .africa applicant and to .gcc.

They give "advice" (not objection) on .patagonia and .amazon, etc.

In other words, the GAC is saying (in effect) "we decide what is in the root".

It is this that NCSG should object to even if their advice is
supported by some of us.  I certainly agree with their objection to
.africa for instance.

I ask again, what do you object to inthis para:

"What does it mean to demand respect for international law in one
phrase and then demand that Amazon and Patagonia, both holders of
trademarks recognized under international law, be denied the right to
use their trademark in a TLD simply because some governments don’t
want them to? On what law is the GAC’s request to deny these
applications based?"

--
Cheers,

McTim