From:
Ron Wickersham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Wickersham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:56:44 -0700

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Amr Elsadr wrote:

---snip---

> 6. Disposition of Excess New gTLD Fees and Auction Proceeds.
> 11. Future role of the GAC.
>
> It’d be nice if a discussion about the funds raised by the gTLD fees/auctions led to an investment into human rights considerations.

I have a built-in distrust of politics resulting in an outcome that i'd
support with others deciding the nature of the "investent in human rights
considerations".

As a challenge directed in perhaps the opposite direction, would there be
any support for dividing the excees fees and auction proceeds into equal
chunks and returning to each applicant that submitted the fees in the first
place?   The fees/auction funds were set by "estimate" or perhaps
describable as a "wild guess" as was discussed on our lists earler.   So
returning it to the applicant that "invested" in the financial well-being
of ICANN and the results exceed needs makes good sense to me.   Not all
applicants are large organizations where the cost to participate in the TLD
extension is just pocket change.

While saying that, I will also follow with much interest any proposals
that can truly invest into human rights considerations.

-ron