From:
tlhackque <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tlhackque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 05:14:23 -0800
>> I strongly object to Debbie and Amber's request that NCSG open up its
>>membership to commercial trade associations.

+5 !

Also, where collaboration technologies are listed as e-mail, wiki, network
cloud:

1) There are several lists under various groups' Work Process sections that are
slightly different.  Suggest that they all reference a single section as the
differences don't seem to be intentional.

2) I support timely electronic communication & technology.  However,
technologies come and go, but (hopefully after all this angst/thrash/effort) the
charter won't.

I think it would be better to say something like:

M.N Operating norms for NCSG/NCUC and its working groups, committees and
constituencies

M.N.1. Work shall be transparent and visible to the membership; significant
intermediate work product as well as final work product shall be archived.

M.N.2. Communication and collaboration shall be timely and based on technologies
that are available and accessible to the membership.  A list of suitable
technologies shall be maintained by the EC and may be amended from time to
time.  In 2011, suitable technologies include e-mail, wiki's, teleconference
bridges, VoIP and "network cloud" services such as Google's.  However,
technologies may be added to or retired from this list by proposing such changes
(using previously accepted technology) to the membership.  A formal vote of the
membership is only required if a timely objection is raised.  Changes to the
list of technologies to improve the flow of information and efficiency of the
group are encouraged.  All such proposals must consider the world-wide
availability of the technology and its required infrastructure (including
network bandwidth, connectivity, client hardware/software requirements), cost,
accessibility to members with disabilities, and the ability to archive
communications and the evolution of positions for the historical record.

M.N.3 When logistics (such as time zones, scheduling, physical presence
or technological malfunctions) prevent concurrent real-time communication among
all members of a group, all decisions shall be provisional until full consensus
is determined.

M.N.4 Mailing lists (or equivalent future technologies) shall:
    o include all full members and observers upon their request
    o maintain an open archive
    o moderate any submissions from non-subscribers

===

This is intentionally broad guidance.  Note that I did not include details of
time-zones, suitability for particular purposes, specific time-frames,
licensing, or zillions of other details.  Reason will prevail - and fussing with
the charter is clearly something to be avoided.

===

Another area that may need some consideration:  The emphasis on open and
transparent everywhere is correct.  However, one could imagine circumstances
that preclude this - at least temporarily.  Consider a legal action requiring
strategy consultation with an attorney; negotiating a contract or an
investigation into alleged misconduct.   Do we need some provision for this?
Perhaps the model used in government of "executive sessions" under limited
circumstances which require an announcement in general terms of the purpose,
that minutes be taken, and that the minutes be published as soon as practical?

===

Thoughts?
This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.