From:
Enrique Chaparro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Enrique Chaparro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:21:01 -0300
Not only some regions are overrepresented, but also the level
of representation (i.e., the credentials of the representatives) is
considerably uneven, from plenipotentiary ambassadors (or
whatever is functionally equivalent) to fifth-level officials.[1] GAC
is not a treaty-based organization, and I frankly ignore how
strict their credential revision processes are in terms of 'de
minimis’ attributions of the parties. Thus, in practice, decisions
are taken by a reduced set of the members.[2]

Regards,

Enrique

Notes:

[1] For instance, Internet governmental policies in my country
are handled by the telecommunications regulatory authority
(except the ccTLD, under the authority of a department which
also handles other federal registries), but the GAC representative
is a low level official from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

[2] Or, even worse, some members opinions do not necessarily
reflect the position of their goverments'  policymaking bodies.