From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 12:35:14 -0700
IANAL, but my first reaction is: if this contradicts anything in FB's TOS,
it's probably non-actionable, unless relevant parts of FB's TOS violate
any terms of established law.  Also, if this contradicts anything in
established law (or is not supported by explicit law to enforce such
"contracts"), it's also probably non-actionable.  I don't know what is
"punishable by law" -- the current state of privacy law in the US is not
very strong.  This feels like a bluff to me, at best.  Or naive,
adolescent bluster.

Would be interested to hear a real lawyer who is expert in privacy issues
weigh in on this, at least in principle (not "giving legal advice" per se
which is generally precluded).

The best way to "protect yourself" is not to have a FB page, or at least
not to use it for anything you wouldn't be happy to be fully public, like
info on a business card or published articles.

Aside from all that, I endorse the PR message involved in this, though I
don't know that being a publicly traded company has any bearing on it.
"Protect yourself" indeed, but posting a notice like this doesn't seem
likely to do anything at all in legal terms, so far as I can tell.

In the US, one thing you can do is support the Electronic Privacy
Information Center (epic.org) which fights in the public interest in the
area of privacy rights.

If there is enough of a popular uprising against lax privacy practices of
FB, especially amongst its users, that is how something might change.  We
live in the "make me do it" political world where leadership emerges from
the bottom up, not the top down.  Make them do it.

For example, there was this:

http://epic.org/2012/05/facebook-users-force-vote-on-p.html

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.